For some time I have been promising to go round and cook for a very close friend and her two housemates. My poor memory and selective hearing has meant that it has taken close to a year for me to keep my promise. Often I am ‘too tired’, ‘have plans’ or ‘want to stay in and work’, by this I mean play computer games in my boxers and watch Sex and the City…I mean Ugly Betty…I mean Glee…I mean America’s Meanest Car chases and Shark Attacks LIVE!
So finally on Thursday I gave myself a kick up the backside and decided to fulfil my agreement. After a brief telephone conference it was decided the girls wanted something healthy and preferably with salmon. So, I put away my lads mag recipe for home cooked bbq ribs, chicken wings and curly fries, and consulted the BBC Good Food website, using healthy and salmon as the key words in the recipe search.
I was presented with this great, extremely simple recipe for salmon burgers and salad. It proved to be a great alternative to potato packed fishcakes, and since girls hate carbs it went down a real treat.
Please also excuse the photography; I was only armed with a blackberry.
You will need:
For the burgers:
550g of salmon fillet cut into chinks (de-boned and de-skinned)
2 tbsp Thai curry paste (red or green, does not really matter)
3 cm of ginger (grated)
1 tsp soy sauce
1 packet of coriander (1/2 chopped the other 1/2 whole)
1 glug vegetable oil
1 lemon (quartered)
For the salad:
6 Carrots (skinned and peeled into strips – best done with a swivel peeler)
1 courgette or cucumber (same as above)
the whole coriander from above
2 tbsp of white wine vinegar
1 tsp of caster sugar
Enough brown rice for four people (I always cook this first just to get it out of the way)
- Place the a salmon, curry paste, ginger, soy sauce, chopped coriander Tip the salmon into a food processor with the paste, ginger, soy and chopped coriander into a blender.
- Pulse until roughly minced.
- Tip out into a large bowl and shape into four patties. Lightly dust in some flour. Put to one side.
- Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan.
- Fry the burgers for about four to five minutes on each side till crisp and cooked through.
- Place on a piece of kitchen roll to soak up the excess oil.
- Place the strips of carrot, cucumber in a salad bowl.
- Toss with vinegar and caster sugar until all sugar has dissolved.
- Mix in the whole coriander leaves.
- Divide brown rice, burgers and salad onto four plates and serve.